GA Minutes 11-12-11

Occupy Duluth General Assembly

Saturday, November 12, 2011

Location: People’s Power Plaza, Superior and Lake, 2pm

 

Lara shared today’s agenda

Facilitators; Tyler, Lara

Stack: Drake

Minutes: Diane

 

Lara reviewed the hand signals for consensus decision-making

 

Use blocks sparingly and have a proposal to rectify your problems if you do block.

 

Summary of Proposals Passed , Key Announcements, and  To Do’s Agreed Upon

 

1. We have approval from the city to keep our occupation camp where it is indefinitely, with a review scheduled for March 21, 2012.  We agreed to the city’s proposal in principle. We will work on getting changes made to the city ordinances related to camping in public parks as a first step, rather than immediately applying for a permit.

 

2. We passed a Resolution to Support the work of MN ASAP, http://www.mnasap.org/ .

 

3. Discussion of Bank Foreclosure issues will take place Monday morning at 9am at DAD/MOM.  Volunteers needed to join this working group.

 

To Do’s

  • Diane to put notes from Move to Amend up on the Facebook and Website so people canlook at it and understand it, before we discuss it again at our next GA.

 

  • Diane to get the support letter regarding the grounds to the Police Liason working group.

 

  • Vern will contact his friend to bring in a solar panel system as soon as possible.

 

 

 

Working Groups

 

1. Facilitation: Lara:

The Facilitation working group has always wanted to have other people join them, and this request is going out once again.  The Facilitation Working Group  will be doing teach-ins on this, so people who haven’t done it before can feel comfortable facilitating the General Assemblies and other assemblies.

 

2. Direct Action/Community Outreach

 

Donna Howard: This past Wednesday, the Direct Action working group met. We will be meeting again to discuss foreclosures and assign research work needed on Monday, November 14, at 9am at DAD/MOM. Volunteers needed.

 

Tyler: Teach-In: Monday, November 14th, 5:00 pm Duluth Autonomous District (DAD/MOM)  Agitation and Organizing 101 Teach in by C Ryan Welles

 

Tyler: Teach-In on Winterization on Tuesday, Nov 15, 6pm, MOM/DAD. Winterization is a pressing matter.  The ground is getting too hard to get stakes into the ground.

 

Heather Lynn Henkel: There is an Occupy UMD Student Group, which meets every week.  This next week it will meet at 5pm Wed, Nov 16, at the UMD Kirby bus hub.

 

THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 17 INTERNATIONAL DAY OF ACTION

 

Tamara: Nov 17 Rally at Depot, 11:30 am rally and speakers at Northern Lights Express Passenger Rail project. The Northern Lights Express,  www.northernlightsexpress.org, could bring in 13,000 jobs. At the rally there will be speakers, then a march to City Hall.

 

Jesse: Nov 17th: event at MOM/DAD we will have musicians, wish lanterns, speakers, different things going on all day, beginning at 11:00 am

The 17th is an international day of action.  There is an opportunity for Actions for any activist organization or union. Push for activism –  Get out and do something on the 17th.  Let’s get our people out there, let’s get a lot of folks down there.

MN for a fair economy is all announced, and will be there. (Note from Diane: there are now 3 reflective vests with Occupy Duluth on the back and front pocket at DAD/MOM if anyone wishes to go out picking up trash, delivering coffee, etc. Sizes: Medium, Large and Extra Large. Look above your head in the Living Room)

 

 

Christmas City of the north parade Friday, November 18

Ed Barkos: It is too late for Occupy Duluth to get their own spot in the Christmas City of the North Parade, but we can be part of the Labor group, if we wish.  This is the first time Labor is back in the parade in 20 years.

 

If we want to be part of the Labor group, bring signs like “We support Occupy Duluth”, and keep things respectful, as it is an event aimed at children.

Line up at 5:30pm, Division Yellow, Unit 11, by Georgia Pacific General Mills Plant.  Just tell them you are with Unit 11.  The Park will get filled fast.  The actual parade begins at 6:20pm. It is a 3 hour parade. No alcohol or drugs, including smoking.

Tyler: There are costumes donated by Allen, if we want some.

 

 

Lara Mary: Community Outreach is planning an event on Portland Square on Saturday, November 19th. If you know any one interested in speaking or playing music at the event, contact Lara

 

 

Move to Amend:

Vern proposed that we adopt a resolution in support of Move To Amend, www.movetoamend.org   There was an event at Peace Church this past Wednesday.  David Cobb from Move to Amend spoke on the importance of ending corporate personhood. Many Occupy Duluth supporters were there.

 

Because not many of the attendees of the GA were at the Move To Amend presentation, Diane offered to write up her notes on the event, and put them on

Facebook and our Website so people canlook at it and understand it.

 

We agreed to Table this resolution until Wednesday’s General Assembly.

 

 

Minnesota ASAP:

Vern proposed a 2nd resolution:  That we officially support MN ASAP:  www.mnasap.org   This organisation is working to shift federal spending priorities from war to meeting essential needs. Jack Nelson-Pallmeyer spoke on this important effort at the Peace Church event on Wednesday.

 

Attendees were given a handout on the effort, and we passed a resolution to

support it, and a request for  all of us to  take the time to sign it individually. A paper was sent around for everyone to sign their support for the work this group is doing.

There were no sad octopi on this temperature check.

 

 

3. Donations

Winterizing Donations: We need Firewood, kindling, hay bales and big plastic garbage bags to encase them, and bagged dry leaves. You can bring them to the camp.  See also our donations page at www.occupyduluth.org

 

For donations by check, contact the Northland Antiwar Coalition, www.northlandantiwar.blogspot.com

 

We need no donations of small tents, or tarp yurts, or foam yurts. The foam releases toxic gases if it burns. Walled canvas tents are allowed, because if they catch on fire, you do not have the issue of toxic gas.

 

4. Police Liason

Joel: would like to bring some new people into the work.  Would like Peacekeeping and the medical team to join in the meetings.  Would like it if the people who wish to join the Police Liason group would be consistent in turning up for the meetings, and would like no more than 2 extra people. Tamara would like at least one of the additional people to someone who stays at the camp on a regular basis if possible.

Jonathan would like to help.

 

Bridget: do we still have a peacekeeping team? Reply: we do still have a core group, but we are working to get everyone who is an occupier savvy to the way to handle things.

 

Joel: The city has brought a proposal to us to allow us to stay at the civic center indefinitely, with re-evaluation scheduled on March 21, 2012.  There are concerns about electricity, safety, care of the grounds, and preferential treatment given to the Occupiers. We are currently violating city ordinances by being there. They have asked that we voluntarily comply with not using city electricity. We have already decided to move the kitchen off site, which helped.

 

They would prefer that we move into one large canvas tent. Tamara said we would need at least one separate tent for medical (smaller than the current tent), Tyler: advised the Police Liasons to ask for 3 tents: barracks, living room, and medical. The medical tent does not need to be as big.

 

 

There are two ways to proceed on the city ordinances issue.

One way: apply for a permit: The city is willing to work with us on the fees, and think of some creative way to put it in the name of an organization

 

The other way is to apply to get the city council to change the ordinance about camping overnight.  Tamara had an opportunity to talk briefly with Sharla Gardner about this possibility.  Sharla supports Occupy and will be working on bringing something forward.  Tamara welcomes help to get a proposed ordinance crafted.

Joel: There are two ordinances: one is the closing hours for city parks. These can be 10pm or midnight, depending on the park. The other ordinance is about tenting. Tenting is expressly prohibited right now.

 

Heat source; waiting for an answer from the fire chief, by Monday, on what is acceptable as a heat source for the camp.

 

The Grounds: There has been no direct ask, but they are concerned about the state of the ground, and what plans we have to repair the grounds.

Point of Interest from Jennifer: Dina from the city stopped by the camp to tell us how nice it looked.

Jesse: We have already proactively started a working group that we have a plan to address the grounds, and we are capable of doing these things. Jesse reminded the group that we have a letter from a former President of the Minnesota State Horticultural Society (me) stating that there has been minimal damage done to the grounds by Occupy Duluth. It includes an offer to help fund repair of the grounds when the camp leaves. This letter will be given to the Police Liason working group.

 

Lara: electricity  – we are planning to get off the grid. There will be a meeting on Sunday, Nov 13, at 3pm on the Kitchen – at least getting the kitchen off the grid. Vern will contact his friend to bring in a solar panel system as soon as possible.

 

Temperature check approved to work with Sharla Gardner on getting changes made to the ordinances before working on applying for a permit.

 

Joel:  The Police Liason is meeting with the police on Monday: Occupy Duluth agrees in principle with the proposal.

 

 

 

4. City Planning Committee

The issues coming up from the Police Liason report are mostly city planning issues. Tyler noted that if you would like to be in on City Planning, contact Lara.

 

Tamara: We have labor support.

Duluth Central labor body paid for our loos again. Will do it indefinitely. They passed the hat, $170 was raised for canvas tent, and the union offered the rest needed to buy the tent.  We now have one canvas tent and wood stove.

Propane has been donated. But we will buy wood instead.

 

Medical Team: Everyone wants the medic tent to be accessible and organized. We have again set up the comfort tent. No comfort items will be left in the medic tent except for those items needed for emergencies.  The medic tent is for medics only. But the person who has the armband would have the right to enter the tent, in case there is no medic in camp.

 

Comfort tent: to better control the sleeping bags and blankets people donate for comfort, there will be someone sleeping in the comfort tent who will distribute the items if there are late night arrivals.

 

OPEN FLOOR

Ed Barkos, President of local 2750, AFSCME: We are supportive of Occupy Duluth because you are fighting our (union) fight. It is about basic rights.

 

Tyler: if you believe in the occupation, be here.

 

LisaLee  Williams and others discussed how LisaLee came to occupy the city park next to Electric Fetus. There was miscommunication based on previous information from the city about us being able to camp on any city park, at the very beginning. What we know now is that situation and offer changed once we selected the Civic Center as our camp.  Joel: in the initial dialogue with police, the message was that they could work with us on any city property, but not now.

Tyler thought it would be legal for us to camp in any city park based on the previous information.    Tyler has been advocating direct action that has not been approved by the GA, and apologized to LisaLee about the miscommunication. Lara also took responsibility for some of the miscommunication. “When we encouraged you, we assumed you already knew the fact that it was autonomous action.”  The miscommunication was compounded by Allen offering a tent for her. LisaLee thought that any communication on Facebook was official from Occupy Duluth.

 

It was clarified for everyone present in the discussion which followed that all key decisions are made at the General Assembly or the Occupiers Assembly, and that without approval at the General Assembly, there would be no official support from Occupy Duluth to camp in any other place except the current half of the Civic Center.  If people choose to take actions not sanctioned at these Assemblies, they are doing it as autonomous beings.

 

LisaLee:  Occupy Duluth originally said there were going to be demonstrations and teach ins at the plaza on Superior and Lake, but she doesn’t  see anything going on here.  The Civic Centre is half a mile away.

 

Ed: having more activities on Superior St would be good for better visibility.

 

POI:  We could be in the large park on the community centre on Hillside, for classes.

 

Lara: Agreed with more direct action in the public.  We need to be out.  Direct action is at forefront of our agendas. Also, we want to look into indoor spaces for teach-ins.

 

Jennifer: when we come down to the plaza for our meetings here on Saturdays, space, we want to rally and tell everyone to come join us. Invite everyone to come down.

 

Vern: thanks and supports us.

 

Tyler: Mic check of a People’s Apology, and group hug

 

Next meeting: Wednesday, November 16, 7:00 pm, Civic Center DAD/MOM

GA Minutes 11-10-11

November 10,  2011 a full moon

Facilitators: Nadia, Jay, Heather H., Vern

 

Discussing events of today concerning invasion of Cravaackistan.

-Autonomous action

-Police said tent couldn’t be there. We stood our ground by replacing the MPLS tent with a symbolic donated tent. We consensually agreed we would not move tent until clear communication about regulations of the land. Miscommunications between occupiers and police led to freak out of possible eviction. Document was brought to camp, media was present and police didn’t want to talk then. Document very confusing and did not clear up confusion. We set up a meeting.

-Ben: has 30 min. video of conversation with Police Eric. Will post/transcribe.

-Jay: Eric is nice guy, institution a big part of THE PROBLEM. Estatic that police have been so nice to us. Risch made a comment: “I’m not just a badge,” Jay, “I’m not just a cardboard sign.”

Any unwarranted act is aggressive. I feel I can approach him at any time now. Very productive discussion.

What was the reason for not being on this land?

-Original negotiations; MN Power Plaza or other public land, we chose civic center and two lots were designated as city and the other as federal. Disconnect of understanding as to why police told us to leave federal land before they found the document saying it was an easement to the city. Basically, for containment reasons.

Adeline: Occupy the skywalks suggested. Ben informs about possibility of Annex.

Feels people want daily participation without camping (some sad octopi)

Tyler: can participate without camping; GAs, living room discussion, meals

DR Lara: we will be getting fliers out more.

Mayor’s office gets many calls saying they support movement but don’t like some things they see/hear, Jessica will recommend them to stop by 🙂

Stack – Tyler: sustaining camp, wear on grass, etc. winterization a priority; canvas wall tent w/ wood stove – off the ground fires city said is okay. More than a campsite. Facilities housing homeless, people with substance abuse problems and mental disabilities, and overflow of city facilities. Temp check of occupation fed land (show of force, when we push we get bigger, consider effects of being part of machine): 2 blocks

Adeline: tremendous effort to move everything. Snow. Better use of effort to move inside.

Jennifer: timing poor. We’ve got to rally on Nov. 17th and moving may take more than 1 day.

Vern: occupation more than encampment. Focus on foreclosure evictions, chips to something bigger.

–          Direct  Response: agreement

–          Direct Response: agreement focus on

Ryan’s block: bureaucratic nightmare. Not worth antagonizing city. Our site is good and visible. Does not impede our rights to not be over there. Let’s work with that, they gave us this.

-Direct Response: if we are really concerned of footprint moving inside would benefit, moving here or there wouldn’t.

Tyler response: risking chips all that’s relevant, first amendment issue – that’s our land, there is no difference between those lands that’s why we should occupy that space. Reorganize on level land, don’t want to trump occupation of foreclosed home. They have said things and they went back on their word. We’re playing fair and they’re not.

DR: In mtg today we made clear expansion of movement inevitable and Joel is developing talks with them about this.

DR: no rights have been infringed yet other than those we’re trying to force.

Tyler’s response: what happens when they start saying no. liability. They are concerned about their safety not ours. Democracy is a great dream but people are whispering in Montgomery, Ness etc ear. Would there be an occupation when shit hits the fan. It sounds like every time they stand up to us we…

DR: there’s a time and place for CD – when you have no other choice and the authority is illegitimate. They are giving us what we need. If not it’s time to sit down and get arrested but that’s not this time.

DR: we’re willing to fuck shit up, but this is not the time.

Point of Process:

Autonomy DA:  wanna set up camp over there, DO IT ON YOUR OWN, we’re not moving camp collectively.

Stack: foreclosed houses invite homeowners to storytelling time about thier stories to find ideal candidate to help out and occupy their home – public event, improve our structures, work with relationship we have, police is on our side their the 99%. Shake the mass public up not the police would be more productive.

DR: known houses empty for years, potential living space for occupiers. Plus known family being foreclosed.

Point of process: clarification of filling with occupiers or homeless.

DR: both. Plus send people showing up at night to dorothy day house

Point of Interest: we can’t, those showing up at night have been turned down due to intoxication.

Back to event idea…

DR: there’s a DA committee working on something for 17th

Point of process back to the proposal

Proposal: stage for storytelling of foreclosure families to find a poster family to begin our first home occupation. Temperature check – hot DO IT. Connect with DA committee.

Tyler: let’s not send it to the committee wants to discuss now.

Security culture discussion…                                                                                                                            

Proposal: committee work quickly to plan and come back to GA

Stack: 17th day of action good time for this.

MOVING ON

OA RECAP:

Every Tuesday at 9pm. First was last night, focused on: drunk population, winterization, electricity, cravaackistan issues, addressing media.

–          Agreed on media blackout because of overwhelming. Yet we called media today due to events.

–          Teach in on winterization Tuesday 15th at 6 pm

–          Go off grid as much as possible/completely. Kitchen will change to off-site.

–          Individuals showing up in altered mind states: big topic! Spent 3 hours chasing/babysitting individuals. Increasing issues to figure out. We don’t want to get law enforcement involved if violence/sexual violence not involved. Everyone is involved in peacekeeping and we will start incorporating teach ins for all occupiers. Should not so welcoming house people so intoxicated because it’s distracting. Detox/hospital options for those

  • Liability of transporting ourselves
  • Health risks may need to be taken to detox

Call Joel to pick up and bring to detox

Temp check for list of help resources: hot.

Working Groups:

Treasury: lock box purchased. Armband is in charge of collecting donations will know where and combo of lockbox. This will change on regular basis. Need to be more in contact with treasury to deposit more regularly.

Peacekeeping: discussion of accountability teach-in series.

Medical: Teach in Tuesday 6pm winterization keeping warm, signs of frostbite, fellow with training in arctic. Winterizing camp – move quickly because the grounds going to freeze. We’re going to take down most of these small flimsy tents and consolidate to 1 big communal sleeping area.

Food: kitchen closing soon and we need contact list to prepare off-site food please contact us if you have capabilities and interest in preparing meals through winter – we have funds for you to purchase food. Be responsible for recycling!

-Sunday @ 3 open kitchen discussion of thoughts, ideas, wants, needs, anything etc.

-Please be very conscious and considerate of allergen cross contamination. For more info about those allergens talk to kitchen people,

Facilitation: Nadia’s doing’ great 🙂 we need more people to step up and get involved.

-temp check for 1 more ga/week: hot – suggestion of a FB survey of when: hot

Communications: live stream 2 more people to create accounts needed. See Lara or Phil to volunteer.

Lara: sorry for improper wording of today’s announcement. We need to communicate better and don’t put out false/misworded information.

-Tyler applauding tenacity of communications today

-Nadia thanking for solidarity and 30+ dropping their things to be present.

Direct Action: Message from Jesse: Nov. 17th make it big, get the word out, be on the corner every day, be autonomous, make it big and strong.

-a lot going on for 17th, should we discuss times for actions, still saying we should discuss these.

17th international action day: 11:30 press conference at Depot northern lights express and jobs. At 12 march to fed to rally. More to be discussed, but

18th: fair farm bill 7pm Kirby ballroom senator or staff present and we will demand stance on GIPSA.

19th international solidarity day: plans needed.

Sanitation: cleaned out tents today. We need to know which tents are available for those who need it. Tons of shit in them: CIGARETTER BUTTS! HUGE FIRE HAZARD AND DISRESPECT TO TENT OWNERS, food PEANUTS now have to be washed b/c of our allergies can’t be back in comfort tent until clean.

–          Accountability? Reaction?

–          Every morning clean up suggestion.

–          Temp check on occupiers checking’ tents each morning: hot

  • 1 block: I’m not going to clean up after full grown adults
  • Clarified we would just collect donated materials

–          Implement with intention to phase out

Community Outreach: only 3 of us. Bridgett, Lara, Mary Ann, Heather-UMD SA

Event at Portland Square on 19th outdoors early afternoon to draw out community members to talk with one another and get familiar with our process. Almost informal intro GA process. Get ideas flowing. Music – if you’re willing to play let Lara/committee know!! We will have electricity/.

Flyering more. Would like help with that when we have them posted.

1st occupy colleges meeting: 5 present, focusing on cost of higher education. Wed. at 5 at Kirby bus hub for now. We will be flyering, not tabling want to think outside the box b/c we want to pop the bubble people up there are stuck in. needs a 2/3 majority student participation but community members welcome. Move to amend will sponsor for food and stuff. SUPPORT THEM CUZ THEN THEY WILL COME DOWN HERE

Occupy is NOT under an immediate threat, as per Don Ness.

I would like to personally apologize, I was given misinformation that the camp was under immediate threat of eviction and asked to sound the alarm.

This was apparently not accurate and I apologize for the alarm.

With that said, I just want to thank everyone SO MUCH for the outpouring of support! If the moment ever does arise it is good to know that we can call on the “cavalry”, as it were, if needed.

Again apologies, and thank you all.
Tiffany

Emergency GA

Emergency GA to discuss today’s police visits.

Thursday, November 10, 2011

Location: DAD/MOM

 

This meeting was called after an emergency call went out on Facebook to get to the occupation site ASAP. Because of miscommunication, we were led to believe that the camp was in immediate danger.  It wasn’t.  Since so many of us were there, we decided to have a meeting about recent police visits to tents put up by individuals, on their own authority, as autonomous beings.

 

After much discussion, it was decided to have the individuals who put up the tent in the other half of the plaza talk directly to the police, and only about that specific action, rather than get into a discussion about the entire camp, (consolidation, electricity, heating, numbers of tents, etc.)  These will be discussed at the 7pm General Assembly meeting, later today.

 

It was also agreed that people need to be very sure about situations before sending emergency meeting requests out on Facebook, as the Mayor’s office was flooded with calls of complaint that the camp was being evicted – unnecessarily.

 

General Assembly Minutes November 5, 2011

Occupy Duluth General Assembly

Saturday, November 5, 2011

Location: DAD/MOM, 2pm

Facilitators: Lara, Tyler

Stack: Tyler

Notes: Diane

Lara reviewed hand signals. Please keep direct responses to a minimum. We do progressive stack, in order to hear from everyone.

Eviction Next Week:  There was a newscast on Channel 6 Friday night: David Montgomery, Chief Administrative Officer for the city of Duluth announced that they will have a plan next week for moving us.

Discussion: Joel confirmed that no direct orders have been given to police to evict us. Joel has talked to other people in the city, and it was as much news to them as us. He has been given assurances that police will take no action this weekend.  Joel is meeting Monday at 2:30pm with the police chief for Duluth.

Moving us or removing us? We don’t know. None of us saw the newscast. Neither the mayor nor any city representative came to Occupy Duluth before this newscast to share their concerns or discuss this in any way.

Occupy Other Spaces

Scot:  He met today with a representative of Wells Fargo who is on a committee with the mayor to address foreclosed homes. This is one idea for us to consider for the winter: doing community work to build sweat equity – working towards ownership in the house.

Concern was raised about working with Wells Fargo. Allen mentioned that other occupations are working on this idea, and it would be worth exploring. Christine asked if it would be homes with people in them? Empty homes?  We don’t know, but it might be both types of homes: empty homes and ones with people about to be evicted.

Christine asked about the record of Wells Fargo regarding evictions. Donna replied that there were  211 foreclosures last year, from all banks, not just Wells Fargo.  Access to information on foreclosures is easy, Donna reported. Lutheran Social Services is another portal to work on this issue. Donna and Vern and Jesse are key contacts for houses empty due to evictions.

Chad: holding this place (MOM/DAD) is symbolic.  He suggests that we have a call tree, so that we can quickly get enough bodies here for them to be able to do anything.

Tyler proposed that we colonize Cravaackistan; moving over to the other side of the plaza; federal property. We have not been formally asked to stay off that area. Joel:  On the Federal property, the police will move us if they are asked by the Feds.

Jennifer: clarified that our current property is owned by the city, and the property on the other side of the flagpole is federal property.

Tyler: proposed that we address the issues the city has about our safety and the safety of the park. We have experienced winter and arctic campers to advise us so we can stay safe in the winter and we have at least one Master Gardener, and other experienced horticulturists who can advise and repair any damage done to the grass and flowers.

Chad: Advertise that we are doing a teach-in on winter camping, and a potluck, and bring people here. If we do, we want to advertise that we are using food grown locally.

Ryan: so far we have only heard from an appointed official, not an elected official. We should ask our elected officials individually where they stand on the eviction of Occupy Duluth.

Tyler spoke to Don Ness: Ness said that Montgomery has a job to do, if he feels eviction is necessary, that is his job.

David Montgomery is Duluth’s highest paid city official, and reports to mayor Don Ness.

Ed Barkos suggested organizing with other union groups, whether it be AFSCME, etc. If you want to get people here, put out a call to the unions in the call tree. Ed Barkos, dbarkos@aol.com  President of local 2750, AFSCME.

Ken: action he is taking on Tuesday noon, Canal Park. Offering to give carriage rides around this circle.

The Occupy Duluth contact list was sent around for people to sign up, if they haven’t already.

Liability: Gauthier, our state rep, was concerned about snow plowing.

Snow Concern: There was a concern expressed that snow plowed up on the tents would cause problems. Blake and Jennifer spoke to the woman from the city who came to discuss it. She said if we just move out tents 5 ft in from the street there would be no problem. She thanked us for how well we were treating the gardens.

Phil: staying here symbolically is a clear part of supporting Occupy Wall Street

Jennifer: agrees with Phil. This space acts as a third space: someplace you stop by in between home and work. We here have a policy that one person wears an armband, to greet people and check on the space. We need this space. We can expand this space. It is a hub.

Eric: come January, it is going to get difficult for us to gather here.

Ryan: that’s why we do this in winter. We will get on national news if we can be here in January.

After considerable additional discussion, two proposals were agreed to by the General Assembly

1. Make some type of presence here, at MOM/DAD.  Winterize it.

2. Look into other options to occupy, including foreclosed homes, tax forfeited properties, and empty city properties downtown.  Report back to the General Assembly.

 

City Council Presentation on Monday: We want to have a good showing at the city council meeting on Monday. You can have two minutes if you arrive at the beginning of the meeting. It starts at 7pm and it is in city hall 3rd floor

 

Drafting the response: It was agreed to meet on Sunday at 5pm to work on the response to the city, to be presented at City Hall on Monday.  We will meet again at 5-6 pm on Monday to finalize it, over dinner.

At 6pm Monday there will be a rally, with as many people as we can get, and the statement will be presented to the City Council at their 7pm meeting.

 

Issues to cover in the response (among others):

  • If they want to remove us because of safety issues, they should address the homeless of Duluth, who are also much more at risk of hypothermia than we are.
  • We have experts on winter camping to advise us.
  • We have experts on horticulture to advise us on repairing any damage done to lawns and flower gardens because of the foot traffic.
  • The snow is not an issue. The tents can be moved back 5 feet from the curb, allowing plenty of space for snow.
  • We want to know exactly which of our elected officials supports Occupy Duluth, and which do not

 

Jennifer: we want to stay here. I want our communications to be peaceful, positive and constructive.

Here are some of our Occupy Duluth supporters who can assist us to address the concerns raised by David Montgomery:

Richard Harbaugh, 830-0109, arctic survival skills

Ken Lindberg: 218-269-3251, winter camping advice

Jesse: Master Gardener

Diane: former president, Minnesota State Horticultural Society

 

Someone could set up an office at UMD to draw in more students

Allen: we need more bodies, more donations. Fuel. We will bring propane into the mix. Need cash too.  We will use the forum on the website to list offers of assistance, as well as needs.

Ken Lindberg: 218-269-3251, winter camping advice and horse and buggy transportation.

Cole: do research with other occupy groups. Thank you to those who stay here every night.

Bodies in Camp

Jesse: having been in close quarters we are very confident. We know we can make it work through the winter. We need people here if we are going to do this. How do we get people dedicated to stay here? We have had lots of conversation about cooking and winterizing every night. Next week they are proposing to get us out of here. What is important is getting people here.

Scot: Stay here for a night or two every once in a while

If someone decides to stay, is there a guesthouse?  There are tents with space in them, and we have extra blankets and sleeping bags, if you don’t have your own.  If you want to be sure there is space for you, call Jennifer at 952-237-1705.

Right now is a great time to be camping. The nights are beautiful, and in a winterized tent, very warm.

 

Calendar: We have a white board in camp so people can sign up for shifts. This is important so we know who will be here.  It needs to be online too. It can also be

used for commitment for a tent.  This would helps with meals, too, if people could sign up for sleeping here. But don’t worry about signing up if you can’t do it in advance. Just come.

Ryan will make sure the sign up gets up on the website, www.occupyduluth.org

Jennifer: wants to have a huge amount of people here on Sunday night, potluck, dinner, and discussion.

Jesse: It will be really powerful to have an active group of people here when people come to work on Monday. If anyone can stop by before work, have breakfast here, and be here any time from 7:30 to 8:30, it would be great.

Eric: can get people to donate wall tents.  Add Wall Tents to our wish list.

We have offer from Valerie and Josh Acquard for overnight shelter if needed when it gets cold. 218-703-3308.

Malory also offered her home.

Allen: legal team needed. Who is ready to go to jail? Who is going to represent us?

Allen offered to lead the legal committee.  From experience shared by those present, there does not appear to be any additional charges for being “dead weight” when arrested.

Bridget:  We need a teach-in  on legal issues we might be facing.

WORKING GROUPS

Winterization/City Planning:  Ryan is ‘go to’ person for winterization. He is also the go to person for City Planning, which has been rolled into Winterization for now.

Ken: proposes a clean up the garden in the spring committee.  City planning committee would do this. Allen: We have $400 in the bank. Proposed to use $200 of this to buy propane fuel. Passed.

Law team: Allen Richardson, 218- 428-0290  richa514 “at” d.umn.edu

Media and Communications: Phil.  We have WiFi for now in camp.

We were contacted by Occupy New York City to make a statement on our behalf. After the GA, we will prepare a statement to send to them. The best place to see Occupy New York read the statement is Global Revolution Livestream, www.livestream.com/globalrevolution  at 6pm our time.

Occupy Port Wing, Wisconsin: Occupy Together has updates. If you are planning things, please post at Occupy Together. At http://www.facebook.com/OccupyTogether

Police Liaison: Joel. He would like 1-2 campers to join him in a meeting on Monday with Duluth’s Chief of Police . Joel will contact people directly for this.

Direct Action Working Group: Donna: Question: Is the direct action working group meeting? Would like to have more people on it. Direct action committee will meet after the GA.

Allan: Nathan Ness is suggesting action on Chamber of Commerce on Wednesday. Ryan: We want to support local businesses.

MaryAnn: propose that we have another speakout assembly that addresses actions we can take to go out into other areas of the community, where we can reach out to these other members of the 99%. She would like to see more soapboxing, to hear more other voices.  Direct Action/Community Outreach working groups.

Cole: The Occupy Your Mind event has now been moved to the 9th of December.

Summary of Activities and Times

Saturday 6pm: livestream of New York reading support for Occupy Duluth

 

Sunday: 5pm: discuss statement to City Council

Sunday Night: get as many people sleeping over as possible.

 

Monday morning: have as many people here to greet workers as possible. Come for breakfast.

Monday : Joel and a couple of occupiers meeting with Police Chief

Monday 5pm: finalize City Council statement over dinner

Monday 6pm: Rally for Occupy Duluth

Monday 7pm: City Council meeting

 

Tuesday: Ken Lindberg: 218-269-3251,  is taking action on Tuesday noon, at Canal Park. Also offering to give carriage rides around our encampment.

Tuesday: Election Day. If you are not registered, you can have someone to vouch for you so you can vote.

 

Thursday, November 10.  Next General Assembly. We may pass a hat for donations.

All Week: Let your elected officials know of your support for Occupy Duluth, as well as unelected officials.

David Montgomery
Chief Administrative Officer
dmontgomery@duluthmn.gov
402 City Hall, 411 West First St.
Duluth, MN 55802
Phone: (218) 730-5370
Fax: (218) 730-5904

 

Come to DAD/MOM as much as possible.  Stay overnight if possible. Come for breakfast to greet workers if possible.

Check the calendar at www.occupyduluth.org for the latest information.

OCCUPY RM 402

The Cheif Administrator of the City of Duluth, David Montgomery (highest paid city official, under appointment of Don Ness) has made public notice that the city is moving forward with “wrapping up” Occupy Duluth. WE DO NOT ABIDE. period. If he thinks we will quietly walk away and thank him for his “concerns for our saftey”, he has another thing coming. Join us Monday morning at 9am while we occupy Rm 402 of Duluth City Hall. We will be addressed face to face on his concerns- or we will occupy until we get the consideration we deserve.

Message from Occupy Duluth to the NYC GA

With a population of only 85,000, Duluth, Mn is not exactly the center of the world. Temperatures can get to -40 in the winter. Snowdrifts can get to 10 feet. But we too stand in solidarity with Occupy Wall Street. And with a permanent camp in front of the city hall we are standing strong. Now, our city administrators want to kick us off their land, but in reality it’s OUR land, and we are not leaving. We are the 99% and no temperature can drop low enough to make us give up this protest. So stay strong, think of us, and remember we’re all in this together.

We Need Support!

Reports of Attempt to shut down camp. It would be wise to err on the side of caution. Please report to camp if you can and also flood the non emergency line of PD with support if you can. Together we can hold this place of refuge. This is now my home and the home of many others let us protect it. Police non emergency: 218-727-8770. Emails and calls to other city officials would help as would an ACLU member or other legal support. Bodies at camp are best. ♥

General Assembly Minutes November 3, 2011

Occupy Duluth General Assembly

Thursday, November 3, 2011

Location: DAD/MOM, 7pm

Facilitator: Lara, Nadia, Tyler

Stack: Nadia

Notes: Diane

Lara reviewed hand signals. Please keep direct responses to a minimum

We agreed to modify the agendas for the General Assemblies. First on the agenda will be the Direct Action/Community Outreach proposals and Events planned for the coming week. After that we will have a quick run through of all the working groups.  After that, there will be an Open Forum or Soapbox for people to bring up other issues and comments.

Members of the media present at the General Assembly were asked to identify themselves: Clint Austin, Photographer with Duluth News Tribune, Mike Creger reporter with Duluth News Tribune, and a reporter from the Superior High School newspaper.

Direct Action/Community Outreach/Proposals/Events for this week

Friday, November 4:

The following event is informational only. It was not brought to the General Assembly for consensus to attend. DFL rally the troops meeting on Friday. Door knocking this weekend. Jackie Halberg is running for the DFL. She supports our encampment and is in city hall.

Saturday, November 5: Connecting the Dots, event put on by Duluth Local Initiatives Support Corporation (LISC) 8:30-12 noon, at Clyde Iron Works. Free to get in, free breakfast. Allen Richardson organized a table for us. We are at table 34. Wells Fargo will be at Table 11. We only need one person for our table. Jennifer volunteered to staff our table. People are welcome to stop by and assist Jennifer, or give her a break.

Saturday, November 5 is also Move the Money Day. Move your money from the big banks into credit unions or local banks. We agreed to have a Bank Action Meeting at opening time of the Wells Fargo Bank – Kenwood. Leafletting to educate people why and how they should move their money from the big banks like Wells Fargo into local credit unions.  This direct action event will last until it is time to return to the People’s Plaza for the Saturday General Assembly:

Saturday, November 5:  General Assembly, People’s Plaza, 2pm.

Saturday, November 5:  4:30pm Protest at M & I Bank Superior: M & I bank is closely tied to the Scott Walker campaign. This is why the action is there. This action was not initiated by Occupy Duluth, but we support it.

We can do more than one bank event at the same time if we have enough interested people. The downtown Duluth Wells Fargo is closed on Saturdays, but the other branches are open.

Wednesday, November 9: – 7:00pm – 9:00pm Corporate Personhood Event:

Location: Peace Church, 1111 N. 11th Ave. East. Our General Assembly, normally scheduled for this time, was postponed to Thursday, November 10 so we could attend this event.

Speakers / Performers include: David Cobb, Jack Nelson-Pallmeyer, Jim Northrup, Joel Sipress, and Sharla Gardner. Music by Rachael Kilgour.

Thursday, November 10:  General Assembly: 7pm, DAD/MOM  Re-scheduled from our normal Wednesday.

Thursday, November 10:   6:30-8:30 PM Holiday Inn, Room TBA
Hearing on Post Office closures. Support Postal Workers!

Saturday, November 12: General Assembly 2pm at People’s Plaza

Wednesday, November 16:  General Assembly, 7pm at MOM/DAD

Thursday, November 17:  12 noon: Infrastructure, nationwide people protesting at bridges. Event at the Depot for the Northern Lights Express

Friday, November 18: 7pm-10pm, followed by a dance. Occupy Your Mind event. This is from their Facebook Page:

“Occupy Your Mind is the first in many upcoming educational seminars. Together we stand strong against oppression and corruption, and have the ability to stand up for our rights. We the people, are being oppressed and it’s time to say NO! We need to be educated, and be able to educate others about what we’re standing up for. This meeting will take place from 7pm-10pm.

There will be educational speakers at the seminar from many different backgrounds. Our mission is to arm ourselves and others with knowledge of the very foundation that the Occupy Wall St./Occupy Together movements stand on. We come across people on a daily basis that know only bits and pieces of the message these movements are trying to deliver. We believe the only way to beat the 1% is to be smarter than them! We want to raise awareness across the nation. We want the 99% to KNOW what the movement is about, what happened that got us to this point, and most importantly, what we have to do in order to make some REAL changes.

We are working on getting a panel of educated people to present an overview of our current economic situation in a non-biased, factual lecture form. If you feel you fall into this category, contact John K. Nystrom @ johnnynytro21@gmail.com to fill a spot.”
Occupy Duluth will definitely have representation on the discussion panel, though we did not discuss exactly who it would be. This will be discussed at Saturday’s General Assembly.

Saturday, November 19: General Assembly and also International Day of Solidarity – boots on the ground.

Other Direct Action/Community Outreach Ideas:

Zombie March in the skywalk: dress up and move like zombies. Jesse demonstrated. This idea tabled for Saturday’s General Assembly.

Handing out hot drinks to people on the streets: especially at the transit center. This is one great idea anyone can do at any time.  We have in the kitchen a 6 cup coffee thermos volunteers can borrow, and paper cups, and coffee. Anyone can come and fill the thermos, grab some cups and some flyers, and go give out coffee for Occupy Duluth.  For more visibility Diane has ordered 3 reflective vests which will have “Occupy Duluth” on them, if anyone would like to wear them.

Picking up trash along the streets. Again, the reflective vests would be very useful for this community outreach idea. The vests will shortly be available to borrow – from the Living Room.

CHUM Meeting:  Allen Richardson is meeting with Executive Director of CHUM (Churches United in Ministry) tomorrow, Nov 4. CHUM represents 40 some odd churches. He will make it clear we are not absorbing resources which would be going to the truly homeless people, and that we are bringing over extra food people have donated to Occupy Duluth.

University of Wisconsin Superior (UWS) and Minority Groups. Nadia opened a discussion of how we can reach out more to UWS and minority groups. If anyone is out there who could help us initiate this, and bring more people into the Occupy movement, it would be greatly appreciated.  We discussed doing more teach-ins on racial equity.

WORKING GROUPS

Sanitation: Allen: Things going well. We intend to go for the long haul.  We decided to save the empty bottles from water to use in a future art  or garden project.

Donations: nothing to report.

Food/Kitchen: we have a separate, under cover kitchen! It will be easier to get awesome meals out. One Rubbermaid box will be designated for morning things. Behind the blanket is a prep area clean of allergens. No peanuts, or gluten bread, etc allowed back there.  This may seem picky to some people, but when the person who makes your food is allergic to gluten, it pays to keep her happy!

Need to schedule someone getting up in the morning to get breakfast going and feed the meters.  Food items we can’t use are going to the Police Dept and CHUM.  (DE note: I wonder how many Occupy movements in the USA are sharing food with their local police departments?)

Facilitation: Lara proposed that we have separate Occupiers meetings. After discussion, we reached consensus that we would have Occupiers meetings once a week, Tuesdays at 9pm. The reasoning was that whether or not people work or go to school, it is the people who sleep here at night who are the occupiers, and they will be home by then.

A Shift Schedule was proposed for the camp, so people could sign up for specific times to be here.  We decided to have both a big white board for sign up at camp, and also a sign up online for people who cannot easily stop in to sign up on the white board. These two sign up methods will be synchronized once a week by the Facilitation or Communication group. The attendees approved this.

Media: Phil. We are not going to address the Police item right now.

Saturday’s GA: Nathan Ness Move to Amend made a suggestion regarding the Duluth Chamber of Commerce. We have heard nothing more from him about this action yet.

If you are approached by media representatives for an interview, have a recording device or a person nearby, so if your statements are edited badly, you have evidence of what you actually said.

Flyers:  So far people have taken it upon themselves to print them. If you want to print something off about an event on our calendar, or something we have previously approved, like the First Communique, go for it.  Or, if you want to print your own opinion on something, you are welcome to do so. But if you want it to say it is from Occupy Duluth, bring it to a General Assembly for approval before you distribute it.

We would like to have a laser printer for the camp. An inkjet printer would be affected by the cold temperatures.

Lara: people could write their own statements, and make a section on the website, to get to know occupiers better. If you would like to share your thoughts and stories in this way, submit them to Lara.

Tim wants flyers for UMD. He could make prototypes and bring to the GA.

Medical: Comfort tent: need more blankets and sleeping bags. If people bring blankets and sleeping bags for Occupy Duluth, they need to be donations, as we cannot promise their return. It is an open camp.

Arts and Family: Nothing to report. May tie his group more into Direct Action. Need to re-form. If you have any interest in the Arts and Family working group, locate Aaron, and make suggestions.

OPEN FORUM, THE PEOPLE’S SOAPBOX

Occupy Milwaukee visit: We had a visitor from Occupy Milwaukee. He reported that they have struggled with the police. He joined with the last Occupy Milwaukee GA on Oct 15. They had heavy police presence and intimidation at their march. No arrests, but several hundred police followed the march of 3000 strong. The march in Chicago, where he attended, also had heavy police presence. The park they were occupying, they were run out. First night after the protest had cops following groups all around Milwaukee. Now Occupy Milwaukee stays at a collectively run place, Garden Park. There is a big ethnic and union presence in the groups. He has been working more with Food Not Bombs, getting food for people who are camping out. They had a good turnout. Our visitor implied we are very fortunate in Duluth not to have police intimidation here.

Yurt update. We had to take it down. The Building Inspector came and said it could be a fire hazard. It should be sandwiched between sheetrock, and if it catches on fire, it emits toxic gases. A wooden removable structure could be used. Things on wheels could be in place for 30 days. We need to investigate the regulations so we can create something that fits within them, but Ryan has no more funding for additional materials.  We would need donations.

If anyone has any ideas, and is willing to contribute any building materials, see Ryan.

Tuesday, November 8 Teach In:  Food, Corporate Agriculture, and the Fair Farm Bill.  7pm at DAD/MOM

Next General Assembly: Saturday, November 5, 2pm, at the People’s Power Plaza, Superior and Lake

Please check the calendar at www.occupyduluth.org for the latest information.

General Assembly Minutes October 29, 2011

 

Occupy Duluth General Assembly

Saturday, October 29, 2011

Location: Superior and Lake Streets, the fountain next to Electric Fetus

2:00 pm

Facilitator: Lara

Stack: Tyler

Notes: Diane

Key Actions since Last GA: Lara

The First Communique was posted  and pushed. It was posted on the website www.occupyduluth.org and sent to media contacts. It has also been made into a half sheet flyer. If anyone wants some to hand out, please contact Diane at DianeEmerson@yahoo.com

 A Day in the Life of an Occupier: Mike Creiger from the Duluth News Tribune is planned to be published on Halloween day. Mike agreed to stay overnight at the occupation to get the full story. He also has offered to donate any overtime pay he gets for the extra hours to the movement. Thanks, Mike!

Donation Jar: The small one was stolen. After some discussion it became clear that this was one of those issues that would best be handled by a working group of people who live at the occupation site- the Occupation Assembly.

On a related note, Jesse was robbed and mugged on Friday night, and in the spirit of nonviolence and direct mediation, will be walking the neighborhood talking to people about it, in an effort to talk to the person who attacked him, rather than report it to police.

A buddy system will be discussed at an Occupation Assembly, and Allen suggested the dojo on the corner for non-violent self defense.

Declaration/Manifesto. The draft of this was handed out at the Oct 26 General Assembly. This will be e-mailed out to members who have shared their e-mails, for comments and input, before posting on the website. If you want to be sure to have input, send your e-mail address to the following e-mails, to be sure you get information as it becomes available: occupyduluthsuperior@gmail.com and admin@occupyduluth.org

Calendar of Events:  Phil, Lara and Tiffany can post items to the website, www.occupyduluth.org  including calendar items.

Aaron: A statement of solidarity with the Postal Service will be posted to the website. A draft was handed out at the last General Assembly, and approved for posting at that meeting.

A statement of solidarity and support from labor unions was tabled for future discussion.

WORKING GROUP REPORTS

Diane suggested that all attendees review the minutes from the previous General Assembly before attending the next one, if at all possible, because discussions and reports from working groups will make much more sense to attendees.

FOOD – Jennifer.  We are continuing with healthful, organic foods as much as possible. The Food working group follows the advice of Hippocrates: “Let food be your medicine and medicine be your food.”

Jennifer reminded the Assembly that food gift certificates are very welcome, so the Food team can purchase the exact ingredients they need to make meals.

There is concern that food donations may be coming to us rather than going to local food shelves. As a result, our energetic Food team is having a Halloween Food Drive – a Trick or Treat So We All Can Eat. The idea is for volunteers to go door to door before the trick or treaters come out, asking for donations of food for the food shelves. Collectors (preferably on bicycles) would pick up the food at the street corners and deliver it to the food shelves.  Here are more details which came in shortly after the GA:

Volunteers needed for:

Collecting food door to door (on foot, bike, skateboard, preferably not in car and in costume)
Picking up food from collectors as they go.
Organizing routes for collectors
Posting fliers at supermarkets
Delivering collected food to food banks.

Collecting should start around 3-4. All ages are encouraged to participate. This can be done by anyone anywhere, going together just might make it that much more fun 🙂

Please call Jennifer @ 952.237.1705 to volunteer. Or sign up in the living room

The first time Jennifer saw this done hundreds of pounds of food were easily collected in just 2 1/2 hours!! It was the largest one time donation the Brick food shelf had ever gotten.

SANITATION: Allen: We have permission to use the facilities at the Labor Temple. If you want to help empty the camp’s trash and recyclables, bring the bins around to the back of the Labor Temple.  We will need to keep appealing to the Labor Temple for funds to continue the emptying of the portable toilets and funding of electricity.

DONATIONS: Tyler. He wants to ask people for tents so we can expand, and read a communique from Cairo. After discussion, it was determined that we should not yet expand the encampment.

MEDICAL: There is a herbal First Aid workshop Sunday at the Pineapple Arts building. Cold weather herbal remedies will be covered, among other topics.

It was suggested that a separate tent be set up to hold the extra blankets and warm clothes which are being donated, so everyone knows where to go to help someone who comes into camp cold. Details will be worked out at the Occupation Assembly.

TOWN PLANNING: Jennifer. The space at camp has been re-arranged, as proposed at the last General Assembly. Andrew from the Duluth News  Tribune arrived the day of the move and documented it.

We now have a 10ft by 20ft car port next to the living room.  We have received a huge tarp, 36 by 36 paces large. It was proposed and approved that it be used to cover the eating area, with the assistance of a tree.

Diane raised the idea of solar panels rather than our high use of electricity and fossil fuels. Jesse pointed out that solar panels also depend on non-sustainable materials for their creation. Great Northern Solar wishes to help us, but they need a proposal with energy usage need. The assembly agreed that Jennifer would calculate the energy usage needed and Vern would follow up with Great Northern Solar. Also that Jennifer would talk to the design school she attended regarding a small wind turbine for our space.

Bob Monahan has offered the Radisson Pool to occupiers at 6pm Sunday.

There will be an Occupiers Assembly at 7pm Sunday, to discuss issues specifically related to the occupation site.

Winterization: There is a general request for bags of dry leaves to assist with insulating the camp, tents, etc. Bring them in!

COMMUNICATION

Events in the Transistor need to be e-mailed today. Basic information like mealtimes, teach-ins, and assemblies.

Lara is running the calendar of events on the website.

DIRECT ACTION:   Allen.

Here are some future events taking place, if we wish to do direct action at them. If nothing else, attend, talk to people, and hand out leaflets like the 1st communique.

Tuesday, November 1: Shane Claiborne event:  CHUM Fall Community Assembly The event will be held from 6:30 to 8 pm in the Mitchell Auditorium at the College of St. Scholastica. Shane writes and travels extensively speaking about peacemaking, social justice, and Jesus.

Wednesday, November 2: Day of the Dead celebration. Our General Assembly will be postponed so we can honor this day

Thursday, November 3:  7pm,  General Assembly, at DAD

Saturday, November 5: Connecting the Dots, event put on by Duluth Local Initiatives Support Corporation (LISC) 8:30 -12 noon, at Clyde Iron Works. Free to get in, free breakfast. Also Move the Money Day. Move your money from the big banks into credit unions or local banks.

Wednesday, November 9: – 7:00pm – 9:00pm  Move To Amend with David Cobb. Note:  Our General Assembly will be postponed so we can attend this event.

Location: Peace Church, 1111 N. 11th Ave. East

Speakers / Performers include: David Cobb, Jack Nelson-Pallmeyer, Jim Northrup, Joel Sipress, and Sharla Gardner. Music by Rachael Kilgour.

David Cobb (Keynote Speaker): Spokesperson for Move to Amend, 2004 Green Party presidential candidate, attorney, initiator of the 2004 Ohio Recount.

Jack Nelson-Pallmeyer: Professor of Justice and Peace Studies at the University of St. Thomas, author of thirteen books, leader of the Minnesota Arms Spending Alternatives Project (MN ASAP).

Jim Northrup: Renowned Anishinaabe poet / author of numerous books and other publications.

Joel Sipress: Professor of history at the University of Wisconsin Superior and progressive activist.

Sharla Gardner: Member of the Duluth City Council.

 Thursday, November 10:  General Assembly: 7pm, DAD

 Thursday, November 17: Minnesotans for a Fair Economy, Veterans for Peace. This will be a big day for action, focusing on our dilapidated infrastructure. Supporters will be out for the Northern Lights Express. Big Event on infrastructure, probably at the depot, time TBA

Saturday, November 29: International Solidarity Day with Palestinian people

December trip to Washington, DC to participate in the Tent City. Depart on the 5th/6th, return on the 11th/12th. Most of the expenses will be covered by the labor unions. Transportation provided. Need 5 people. See Allen Richardson.

 Other Actions:  Donna, a member of TROU: The Rest of Us, led a discussion about possible actions people attending the General Assembly would like to personally work on. Attendees offered the following suggestions:

  • Banks – the top 4 banks. Focus on repossession of homwe where they can’t find mortgages, and moving money from banks to credit unions.
  • Duluth Port Authority and the Mars Company monopolization of manufacturing jobs in Duluth
  • Clean Water and Lake Superiour.  A Legacy Fund was set up for this but is in danger of some of this fund being transferred to build a stadium in the Twin Cities. Actions could include writing a letter, calling the governor.
  • Movie Nights. One movie suggested is “Tapped”.  This documentary is about bottled water: privatization and health issues.
  • Student Involvement: LSC, UMD, CSS. Teach students what this is all about. Show movies at UMD, other locations. Student organisations are being created, possible connection with SDS, Students for a Democratic Society.
  • Move into a foreclosed home, especially one where the original mortgage has been lost in all the financial paper shuffling.
  • Homelessness and Unemployment: Turn Cravaack’s office into an employment centre, simply by helping unemployed people fill out job applications in his office.
  • March on the Duluth Chamber of Commerce. Nathan Ness suggested this action, and would like to have a conference call with anyone who is interested.

Anybody who wants to set up a direct action at any of these events or others is welcome.

 

GENERAL DISCUSSION

Todd Erickson, delegate for two local labor unions, reported that the International Union is supporting the Occupation. He also reported that on Wednesday of this week, when he was at Occupy Chicago with a union delegation, hundreds of fliers were tossed out of the window of the Board of Trade building onto the occupiers below, denouncing the Occupy movement, and especially against union workers. Tyler read the statement to us, which was unsigned. Lara will post it on the Misc section of the website.

It was reported that AFSME will march with Occupy Minnesota in Minneapolis.

Nathan Ness drove from St. Paul to attend our assembly, and talked about the Move to Amend event being held on Wednesday, November 7. His proposal to move our GA so we could attend was accepted. So instead of November 7, our midweek GA will be held Thursday, November 8.  Because there are hundreds of flyers out circulating among the public which state that our General Assemblies are held every Wednesday, 3-4 people will remain at DAD to discuss the occupation with anyone who shows up on Wednesday.

Next General Assembly: Thursday, November 3, 7pm, at DAD (civic center). Note: this is a departure from our normal Wednesday schedule. The next two weeks the mid-week General Assemblies will be held on Thursdays, instead of Wednesday. Please check the calendar at www.occupyduluth.org for the latest information.